Monday, November 16, 2015

Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance

     I mentioned in my last post about the importance of proper preparation. I cited a story about a recon mission last July. Yes, proper recon is important, but it is only one component of the total planning picture. Once you or your group have selected a campground and made reservations next comes the prep phase. Now the prep phase for me usually begins several weeks out as I begin the "planning" process. It is a good idea to make a checklist of all the obvious things you'll need to inspect prior to departure.
     The planning process includes many of the obvious things like check and refill/top-off your LP gas tanks. While some may like the convenience of switching out their propane tanks at the local Wal-mart, I personally prefer using a local LP gas vendor, Miltown Storage, located in Milton to fill my tanks. Often at the conclusion of a camp trip my tank is only 1/2 empty. I hate paying for a whole new tank at Wal-mart when James Wheelus can top off our tank for about 1/2 the price of switching tanks. Plus when James fills the tank I know it is completely full instead of close to full from Wal-mart.
     Some other items to check during prep is the camper spare tire as well as the air pressure in all the tires on the ground. Recommended air pressure should be displayed on the side of the tire. Check them cold. Check the grease in the wheel bearings. Check the trailer hitch area and lighting to ensure all is working properly. Make sure to have a 4-way lug wrench, appropriate jack, small toolbox with appropriate replacement fuses for any roadside emergencies.
     Check on the camper batteries. I use a cordless drill to lower the four camper stabilizers, so make sure the batteries for the cordless drill are charged. We use 2x6 wood as our stabilizer/jack stands. Some people purchase the lego type jack pads. It's a matter of personal preference. I store these items in black plastic milk crates purchased at Wal-Mart. Ensure all hoses (water & sewer) as well as any filters, or pressure regulators are in good working order and properly stored. Check power cords, adapters, and surge protectors. I also check to make sure I have enough ant bait. We have found that ants are always present at campgrounds, but we can eliminate the problems they cause by spreading ant bait (we use Spectricide) on the ground around the camper, especially where our RV outdoor mat/rug will be positioned.
     Next, check the inside routine things you will need every camp trip like toilet paper and chemicals for the toilet. All the bathroom toiletries, towels, etc. Kitchen should also be checked. Things like coffee and sugar/splenda as well as other commonly used items should be checked and topped off.
     One of the things you will have to guard against, and is a struggle for any woman, is to not bring everything including the kitchen sink. Think smaller amounts and what you can get by with. For example no need to bring your entire closet with you, only what you will need for the trip. If it's more than a few days, many campgrounds have laundry facilities so bring clothes detergent (and quarters to feed the machine) so you can do laundry if your trip will extend beyond 7 days.
      Getting back to planning....I have found that planning my menu helps me to not only purchase and stock properly, but cuts down on unnecessary food items that take up space in a sometimes limited cabinet/storage area. If you are camping with a group it is wise to meet with or set up a chat group (private closed Facebook group will work) the other ladies and plan out the evening meals, who will do/bring what items. Our group takes turns providing the main meat entrée. When it is not our turn on the main entrée, we provide a complimentary supporting food item or necessary paper goods. Obviously, there are women (and men) who are more skilled/talented than others in preparing some foods. For example, I am not a baker so I am happy to let another take on the role of baking cakes, pies, candies, etc. I am a good salad, soup, stew, gumbo, and crockpot cooker (comfort food is right up my alley)....so my contributions usually involve one of these dishes.
     To assist me with the food planning phase I use a digital menu planner to help in the process (free app on my tablet). Then I use a digital "notepad list" (another free app on my tablet) to create checklists: a camp food list (according to planned menu), a summer camp list, and a winter camp list. Two different lists according to season...why?..you might ask. Because there are items you'll need during summer camping trips like additional shade, sunblock, chairs, tiki torches, coolers, etc. that you may not need during winter camping and vice versa. Using these digital lists keeps me on track and ensures that I don't forget critical items. As you might imagine, the morning of departure I'm reviewing these lists to ensure I have not forgotten anything.
     Download/print the reservation confirmation letters. Ensure you have proper physical addresses for the campgrounds. If you have a GPS/navigation system you can enter the addresses and should be able to correctly navigate to your destination. Beware that in some isolated incidents the GPS may take you to a faulty destination....they are not foolproof. Ensure you check the route prior to departure. If I am not able to physically recon the route, another method I use is Google maps, both traffic and satellite views, to look the route over for any concerns. Remember towing a camper or operating an RV is different than driving your regular car. You have height, length, and turning limitations to consider. It is my personal preference to stay off small secondary roads or county roads unless I have personally travelled them and ensured they are adequate/safe to handle towing our camping rig. Many county roads are not built or maintained to the standard of Federal or state highways. Common issues may be present like insufficient width, little or no road shoulder, tree overhangs, rapid rise/fall in elevation, winding/twisting roads, or possible flooding.
     Some navigation systems (Garmin & Magellan) of today have the option of entering your rig into the profile to avoid secondary and toll roads as well as traffic delays in construction zones or low bridges. Plan your route and take into consideration the available refuel locations along the route as well as stopping to stretch and walk the dog. If Google maps advises your destination is 2 hours away, remember Google is assuming you're driving a car not towing a camper (unless you have entered your profile correctly adjusting). Add anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour onto whatever Google tells you.
     The day before departure we hook up the power to the camper and turn on the refrigerator. This allows it to cool down so that the morning of departure I can move the cold items from the house frig to the camper.
     Plan to depart for your campground in time to set up prior to dark. There is nothing more frustrating than arriving late and setting up in the dark.
     This is not an all inclusive list. I have probably forgotten something, but it should be enough to get you started in the right direction. Remember Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment