Thursday, December 3, 2015

Propane refill, Laundry and Food Restock day

     Unless you have a very large camper/motor home that contains lots of storage space, if you are going to be on the road camping for more than a week, you’ll most likely need to do laundry and restock your perishables/food stores at some point. While many campgrounds have limited laundry facilities and that is always an option, so remember to pack some clothes detergent, I have found from time to time the laundry machines are down or busy. During our recent trip we burned through a propane tank in 5 days because of cold temperatures (average high was 50 and average low was 35 with a very brisk wind). We needed to refill one of our RV propane tanks before departing for the next leg of our journey to a very isolated location. We decided to do the almost 10 days of laundry that had accumulated as well as stop at the local Walmart and restock perishables and food stores before we departed the next day to our next destination which would be isolated.
     A Google search identified a couple of propane fill locations and two laundry mats. The Propane refill turned out to be a minor difficulty. The first time we attempted was on a Tuesday afternoon at 2pm. The place, Ferrell Gas was not open and the other place, Dowdle Gas, was out of business. We returned to Ferrell Gas on U.S. 80 just east of U.S. 43 on Wednesday morning with our empty tank. The guy working could not fill the tank (really?) and suggested we simply swap the tank for a Blue Rhino tank. As we have purchased this kind of swap before at Walmart for our home gas grill, I was familiar with the process. I was initially hesitant as I hated to give up my RV tank, but the guy assured me the tanks were the same. The swap cost $18.79, a little more than I have paid in the past. Upon return to the campsite I discovered the tanks were not the same. Our RV tank was 21.7 lbs while the Blue Rhino was only 15.7 lbs. Additionally the Rhino tank had a coat of spray paint over pretty sizable surface rust.
     I called Ferrell Gas to speak with the guy in order to return to pick up my tank and the phone was answered by the Carabelle, Florida Ferrell Gas location. I was told he was now at lunch and would return later. Four additional calls forwarded to different Ferrell Gas locations do not yield success. Apparently, the phone automatically kicks incoming calls to another business office.  I failed to make contact over the next 3 hours. I left messages at these other locations as well as being forwarded to the guy’s voice mail, none of which resulted in a returned call. Finally, about 4pm I called and reached the guy. I explained as it was late and the next day was a holiday, I would return Friday morning. I ask the guy to fill my tank and have it waiting. I told him I would pay the difference for the core charge on the Blue Rhino tank swap. He attempted to assure me the tanks were the same. I told him they were not and that I had set them side by side and saw where they were not the same. Finally, I explained to him in a very direct/blunt manner that I was the customer and these were my instructions. He agreed and I gave him my telephone number for any further issues.
     Friday morning I called at about 9:30am and got forwarded to the Dothan, Alabama office. Nope, not doing this again. I drove to the facility and met with the guy. He retrieved my tank. It was still unfilled....big surprise. I asked if there was another propane refill station in the area. What do you know there was one at the Alabama Co-Op Farmer’s Supply….right next door. I paid the core charge, $28.00 (really?) and loaded up.  I went next door where a very helpful man filled my RV tank and charged me $11.39. I could have done this Tuesday afternoon or Wednesday morning…had I known. So, all this to say I don’t recommend using Ferrell Gas company, especially the one in Demopolis, Alabama.
     Friday morning with our propane situation finally resolved, we then focused on laundry. It has been almost a lifetime since I used a commercial laundry mat. We located a great little local place on U.S.80 in Demopolis called Suds. They had three different sized commercial washers, 1 top loading and 2 front loader types, and 2 different sizes of commercial dryers. Since I had  almost ten days of laundry I selected the largest front loader. The female manager of Suds was patient and helpful with me as I navigated my first time use of a front loader. We spent 1 hour and 45 minutes at the laundry and left with a clean, folded load ready to check off the next task.

     After a 30 minute stop at Walmart with my list, we completed the restock task. Milk, bread and fruit were now resupplied for the next leg of our journey. We returned to the campsite for a well-deserved nap after lunch and then dinner at The Red Barn in Demopolis. Please see a review on this fabulous meal experience.  

No comments:

Post a Comment